Thursday, July 5, 2007
Fireworks & Reflections
Today was a good day. Taylor and I toured the Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier for a few hours, came home and made ice cream, and went to a barbecue the young marrieds group from Alderwood Community Church had. Taylor was exhausted after all that and went to bed around 9:50. I, on the other hand, really wanted to see some fireworks. So, I drove around looking for a spot to park by a park near our apartment, but no luck. I decided to look around in a neighborhood and happened upon a perfect hill for firework watching. So I just parked the car pointed down the hill, got out, and watched the fireworks while leaning against the car hood.
It was a decent show. The had fireworks over the water that lasted about 20 minutes and when it ended people were clapping everywhere. I could even hear people behind me sitting out on their porches clapping. I think one of the best parts of the show was that people at the islands across from us here in the Mukilteo/Everett area were doing fireworks at the same time. So I could see big fireworks by Everett and more fireworks off to the side in the distance at the islands. That was kind of fun. I did miss Reeve's park and Norman friends though. Last year Taylor and I went to see fireworks there with Andrea and Josh. I missed the good company this year, but I was still glad I got to see fireworks. I insisted on it last year since I didn't get to see any in 2005 because that's when I was living in Peru.
It was fun to carry on the family tradition of making homemade ice cream for 4th of July today. I was proud that we were successful in our endeavors (thanks to the specific directions from my parents), we got lots of compliments on the Butterfinger ice cream, and almost all of it was gone by the time we left the barbecue! It was funny because when I told one of the guys that we had only visited Alderwood once so far, he said jokingly, "Yeah, we have parties like this every week." We laughed and another guy said, "Well, we probably will if you'll bring this homemade ice cream every time." I guess next up will be learning to make Mom and Nanny's rolls. Funny how little cooking traditions seem more important now. (Debi, I may need to learn how to make your family's popcorn too!)
It was funny to realize that tonight was the first night I've gotten to see stars up here. It made me want to visit Ryan, America, again soon. I remember when I brought my good friend Lauryn to Ryan. She hadn't seen that many stars before in her life! God is amazing.
This area where we're living is such a diverse area. I heard about 5 languages tonight as groups of people walked past me to their cars. A teacher who teaches here in Everett said that churches will support large groups of people coming across the Pacific to a better life all the time. She's had kids that haven't even known a word of English. I wonder if they're more grateful and ready to celebrate America's Independence Day than I am. I know I take way too much for granted.
Well, goodnight all. I'll be looking forward to coming home for Christmas and seeing as many relatives and friends as possible. Taylor and I already bought our tickets!
Love ya,
Anne
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Anne and Taylor, I miss yall! Hope yall are both havin a great time up there! ...And we better get to see each other at christmas! :]
And that ice cream sounds delicious!
Post a Comment